Expanding & Scrolling IM Letters - Tutorial 3
Adjust Code for Expanding Letters
27 June 2011
Skill Level: Intermediate/Advanced
IMSOM has kindly given me permission to use their code for the lessons in this group.
I have made some adjustments to that code.
Click on the arrow and drag it to mark the progress on this page.
There are some changes you can make to the code, which will make it easier to use in the future.
I suggest that you save the file for all future expanding letters after making these changes.
You will have to adapt the footer code with every letter you create according to the instructions in this lesson.
All other changes (excluding footer area) to every letter you create are explained in Lesson 6.
ExpandingLBJune2018.txt, available here
1) Download, unzip and save ExpandingLBJune2018.txt to your Lesson Folder
2) Open ExpandingLBJune2018.txt
with your email address
with the name you want to use
4) File > Save As
Give it a name you can easily identify later
You will use this adjusted code for all future Expanding Letters
Changes you have to make with every new letter:
5) If you want another font for your footer, replace Trebuchet MS with font of your choice
(You find it towards the bottom of the code)
with link to the artist's website.
with name of artist used
with link to the TOU of the artist used
If there is no link to insert, just use the text:
Used according to Terms
If you use an image with a personal permission:
Used with written Permission
If you used an image with Group permission:
Used with Group Permission
and link the word Group to the group
8) If you used your own image,
replace artist info and TOU with:
with your name and the current year
Example of my footer, making letter with my own photograph, available here
Example of my footer, making letter with an image used with "General Permission", available here
Example of my footer, making letter with an image used with "Personal Permission", available here
Example of my footer, making letter with an image used with "Group Permission", available here
If you can't see the codes, download the zipped file.
name of font you used for your letter
the current date, it might be month and year, or day, month and year
11) You might wish to add more text to the footer. Just remember
to add at the end of every line
(or it will later be visible as one long string of words only)
12) If you want to add an image to your footer, insert this code:
Replace 2011.jpg with name of your image.
Replace 220 and 56 with width and height of your image.
13) In the code a box for the footer text is included
Your background may be very busy and your footer text hard to read.
The box for the footer offers an easy solution.
If you do not want a background for your footer text, make the following changes:
- Change the border width to: border="0"
- Change bordercolor to: borderColor=""
- Change background to: background=""
- Change cellSpacing to: cellSpacing="0"
- Change cellPadding to: cellPadding="0"
14) How to make the background:
In PSP open a new file 10x10px and flood fill with your textbox color,
lower opacity as desired
and export as a .png file
(I named my file bgfooter.png).
15) The changes you need to make:
- Change borderColor="#675736" to a border color of your liking
- Change background="bgfooter.png" to your file name
16) You are allowed to make changes to:
- width: 50%
While it might sound complicated to begin with to make the changes to the footer in the code only, it is much easier once you get the hang of it than doing it in Letter Creator.
I have a .txt file with the artist names and TOU lines of the artists I use, so I can copy and paste when I need them, which makes it so much easier.
If you have any questions, please email Lismibaebi at gmail.com.